Builder Disputes

Builder disputes Dorset and Hampshire


builder disputes


Buider disputes are an all too common event generally exacerbated by no formal  specification and a lack of a  stage payment scheme when certain items are complete.

Any builder or construction company that requires an up front payment is possibly to be avoided.

You must stay calm and if possible attempt to communicate only in carefully considered emails for evidential purposes.

Rogue Builders may wish you to become irritated with them so they have an excuse not to respond to perfectly reasonable requests.

Rogue Builders can also issue veiled threats of violence or criminal damage; so it may be time to install CCTV and a Recording App upon your smart phone.

If you have a Builder dispute phone me for a free initial consultation.

Builder Disputes

Advice from WHICH

As soon as you know there’s an issue , contact the builder or decorator and explain the situation. If you phone the builder, it’s a good idea to follow up the conversation with a letter.

The letter should confirm the problem, what you agreed the builder should do about it and by when (unless they say they will visit to deal with the problem in the next few days).

Under the Consumer Rights Act, which came into force on 1 October 2015, consumers who enter into a contract for goods and services can expect these to be supplied with reasonable care and skill.

Remember this applies to plumbers and other tradesmen as well as builders.

If you entered into your contract before 1 October 2015 you have the same rights under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

Remember that where a trader guarantees their work for a set period of time that guarantees do not affect your legal rights to have work done with reasonable care and skill using materials that are of satisfactory quality, as described and fit for purpose.

A trader would not be able to claim that you cannot get a repair on any work that you discover is not up to standard after your guarantee period is over.

Builder disputes in Hampshire, New Forest and Dorset  Home