Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth

Building Surveying

Read More

Boundary Disputes

Read More

Party Wall Surveying

Read More

Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth 



House Surveys – Building Surveys, Homebuyer Reports
RICS Valuations – Probate, Matrimonial, Insurance, HMRC, Acquisition
Historic Building Consultancy
Expert Witness
Lease Extensions
Rent Reviews
Schedules of Dilapidations & Schedules of Condition
Party Wall Notices & Awards
RICS Valuers
Principal Designers & Construction Safety
Fire Assessments & Legionella Assessments
Builder Disputes
Damp Defects & Building Defects Analysis
Crack Analysis and Structural Surveys
Boundary Disputes
Collective Enfranchisement (Right to buy Residential Freehold)
Beam / Lintel specification



Telephone 07979 472264


Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth 

Whether you are a homeowner looking to alter or extend your home or a company looking for advice in relation to building including fire, access or energy efficiency then a Chartered Building Engineer or Chartered Surveyor will be able to assist you.

They are Professionals who design, construct, evaluate and maintain buildings. Their work includes both technical and management processes by which buildings are designed, constructed, renewed and maintained. This involves them in activities including site investigations, building inspections and surveys, assessment against standards, project design, plan preparation, cost evaluations, contract procedures, project management, and deciding which construction methods and materials to use.

Their expertise includes a detailed understanding of statutory regulations, and technical codes and standards and the need for sustainable buildings.

Chartered Surveyors will have a level of competence which has been assessed and accepted against rigorous standards. Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth are qualified to deal with a range of matters relating to the design, construction, valuation and maintenance of buildings and will often specialise in key areas within Building Engineering, whilst maintaining an understanding of all aspects of the profession.

We have assisted with boundary disputes for many years avoiding expensive litigation. If you have been arguing with your neighbour or having a boundary dispute try to follow these simple tips to avoid making matters worse:

  • Stay calm and try not to get angry.
  • Be reasonable. Listen to what your neighbour has to say and take it into account.
  • Compromise. You have to live next to each other so it’s best to try and find a solution that suits both of you.
  • Don’t do anything hasty. It’s easy to get angry when something is niggling you every day and it’s on your doorstep. However, doing things to spite or get back at your neighbour will only make matters worse and they’ll be less likely to listen to you if you’ve upset them.

Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth are regulated by the   RICS


Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth


Party Wall Agreements (Awards)

As anyone who is considering building an extension will have realised, neighbours have an important role to play in many aspects of the planning process.

They will experience some of the pain of the work without enjoying the benefits, so it is crucial to keep them informed and on side. It is also a point of law that you must give them notice before starting work close to the boundary with their property. Getting this wrong could delay your build and make your project more costly. Getting it right will provide the foundations for a smooth build.

If you are carrying out works governed by the Party Wall Act, you need to serve a party wall notice on your neighbours. This must be done at least two months before the notifiable works begin, and at least one month before the notifiable excavation works begin. Notifiable work is either building work which affects a party wall or boundary line, or excavations within three or six metres of a neighbouring property (depending on the depth of the foundations you are making). This will include most extensions and basement and loft conversions.

You need to serve notice on all the owners of every neighbouring property affected by the works, both freeholders and leaseholders. You don’t need planning permission for your plans to serve notice, and once you’ve done so you can take up to a year to start work.

If your plans change slightly after you’ve served notice – for example, if you decide to increase the depth of your extension – you should be able to submit revised drawings to your neighbour without having to serve a new notice.

There is “realistic potential” for damage when undertaking party wall works, according to the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors. So it’s not surprising that failure to comply with the act could result in your neighbour taking you to court and obtaining – at your expense – an injunction to prevent you from continuing with the work. And that’s not the worst of it. “If you haven’t obeyed the act and you cause major damage to your neighbour’s property, the judge can award compensation for any loss or damage resulting from the works, including legal costs,” warns party wall surveyor Rupert Lloyd.


Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth


Boundary Disputes


In one sense any dispute between adjoining landowners over land is a boundary dispute but the term is more usually applied where a strip only a foot or two wide is in dispute. Typically there will be some kind of long established boundary feature such as an earth bank, wall or fence and the dispute may be as to whether the boundary runs down the centre or on one side and, if so, on which side. In some cases there may be more than one boundary feature, for example there may be a wall and a fence running parallel.

Is Mediation Possible?

Everyone has the right to have any civil dispute they have determined by a court, and the courts will not refuse to hear a cases even if the width of the land in dispute is quite narrow. However although the courts will not refuse to hear a case, the courts generally encourage parties to consider settling their differences through mediation if possible.
Boundary disputes unfortunately often lead to a souring in relations between neighbours unless this can be forestalled by mediation. The object of a mediation is not necessarily to reach agreement over the exact boundary according to the strict law but rather to reach a pragmatic compromise which both parties can live with.
Ideally before the mediation takes place a survey of the disputed area should be commissioned from a professional land surveyor. The surveyor would not normally be asked to give any opinion on where the boundary is, just to survey what he finds on the ground and produce a large scale map of the site so that, if agreement on a boundary is reached in mediation, the boundary can be drawn on the map which can then be incorporated into any formal written agreement recording the parties’ compromise.
Mediation is not always successful. One party may refuse to mediate or, having agreed to mediate may be unwilling to compromise so that the mediation is ultimately unsuccessful. But in 9 cases of of 10, a mediated solution which both parties can live with is best, unless there is some particular reason why a small amount of land matters to you. The danger with going to court is that where only a small amount of land is involved it can be difficult to predict what the court will decide, and if you lose you normally have to pay the other side’s costs.

Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth


Builder Disputes

Buider disputes are an all too common event generally exacerbated by no formal  specification and a lack of a  stage payment scheme when certain items are complete.Any builder or construction company that requires an up front payment is to be instantly avoided.You must stay calm and if possible attempt to communicate only in carefully considered emails for evidential purposes.Rogue Builders wish you to become irritated with them so they have an excuse not to respond to perfectly reasonable requests.Rogue Builders can also issue veiled threats of violence or criminal damage; so it may be time to install CCTV and a Recording App upon your smart phone.

if you have a Builder dispute phone Chartered Surveyors Bournemouth for a free initial consultation.